Topic: Bank of New South Wales 1911 (Eltham)

Topic type:

Bank of New South Wales (Eltham)

The Bank of New South Wales purchased this corner section (Bridge and York Streets) in 1905, but it was not until 1910 that tenders were called and construction of the new branch commenced. 

The architects were the Wellington firm Crichton & McKay. The Hawera & Normanby Star reported on 17 January 1911 that, "brickies (were) laying well on the new premises". There was a one-bedroom flat attached to the bank with an outside toilet.

The contractor and opening date are unknown.

The building is presently (2020) occupied by the Eltham Historical Society - since 1999. 

(Plans held by Puke Ariki and Bulleyment.Fortune Architects Ltd - see links)

Discuss This Topic

There are 0 comments in this discussion.

join this discussion

Bank of New South Wales 1911 (Eltham)


City:Eltham