Eltham Buildings

 

Welcome to the Eltham Buildings basket - note that this basket is still under construction.

If you would like to add images, documents, or recollections about any of the buildings featured, please register with Kete or contact staff at the Taranaki Research Centre.


Latest 5 topics

Central Hotel, Eltham.

Central Hotel, Eltham 

The Hawera & Normanby Star announced on 3 December 1915 that the old Central Hotel (corner High and Bridge Streets) had been demolished and had been replaced by a "fine building in concrete". 

The architect was Mr J.A. Duffill and the contractor was Mr J.W.Tong with the contract price expected to exceed £3,000. 

The licensee, Mr G.W.Tayler (see linked topic), was congratulated for his enterprise in providing such an up-to-date establishment. It was described as having, "26 bedrooms, three sitting rooms and two bathrooms and every modern

Coronation Hotel .

Coronation Hotel

The Coronation Hotel on the corner of Bridge and York Streets was built in 1902 for James Hawkins, previously the lessee of the Normanby Hotel.

An application for a licence was put to the Licensing Committee on 5 June 1902, while the hotel was still under construction. The contractor, Leslie Steel (New Plymouth) produced plans showing that the hotel would have 34 rooms, six of which were finished and 14 more were nearly complete. He indicated that the hotel should be ready by 25 June and the decision of

Bank of New South Wales (Eltham).

Bank of New South Wales (Eltham)

The Bank of New South Wales purchased this corner section (Bridge and York Streets) in 1905, but it was not until 1910 that tenders were called and construction of the new branch commenced. 

The architects were the Wellington firm Crichton & McKay. The Hawera & Normanby Star reported on 17 January 1911 that, "brickies (were) laying well on the new premises". There was a one-bedroom flat attached to the bank with an outside toilet.

The contractor and opening date are unknown.

The building

Eltham Municipal Building.

Eltham Municipal Building  

The Municipal Buildings are located in Stanners Street and this two-storey building was designed by the architects Rough & Dufill. It was constructed of reinforced concrete and erected in 1911. (Plans held by Puke Ariki - ARC2004-620)

The architects reported to the Eltham Borough Council on 25 February 1911 that progress was 'satisfactory'. An advertisement in the Hawera & Normanby Star on 21 September advised that the Eltham County Council offices had moved to the new building as of 19 September 1911.

The Taranaki Herald reported later in the

Eltham Police Station.

Eltham Police Station  

Located on the main street this single storey building was originally built for the Bank of Australasia. 

The Bank of Australasia first opened in May 1905, in temporary premises in High Street. Mr Henry Frank Hayden the manager, was born in India, and joined the Bank of Australasia in Melbourne in 1888.

In 1910 the Bank of Australasia applied for permission to carry out alterations to the present bank buildings in High Street. Councillor Amoore, as building inspector, reported that the proposal was to move the present wooden building towards the back of the section and convert it into a dwelling house, a

Contents by type

Random Image from the Archive

Bank of New South Wales (Eltham).

Blank Play/Pause Slideshow. Next Image.